At their 2nd meeting in Rome, on 8 July 2016, participants to the Informal Working Group (iLWG) convened to give impetus to the Khartoum Process, including through the implementation of concrete initiatives.
They identified needs in relation to the Horn of Africa Route through the review of ongoing and proposed projects funding options and agreed on a tentative plan of activities for the second half of 2016.
Participants to the 2nd Informal Working Group discussed the following issues:
- the outcome of the first Thematic Meeting, which took place in Khartoum on 24-25 May
- information sharing on human trafficking and smuggling of migrants and the role of the proposed Regional Operational Centre
- the progress on the implementation of several EU projects, including ‘Better Migration Management’ (BMM) and ‘Addressing Mixed Migration Flows’ (MMF)
- the outcome of the Valletta ‘stocktaking’ meeting, which took place in Brussels on 21-22 June
- a brief update on the activities under the Regional Development and Protection Programmes (RDPP) and their link with the broader global agenda on protection and protracted displacement
- future meetings timetable, agenda and host country