The Khartoum Process is a regional dialogue for cooperation among the countries along the migration route between the Horn of Africa and Europe. Its main focus is to fight human trafficking and people smuggling. The EU provides financial assistance to support the organisation of core events (i.e. Steering Committees, Senior Officials’ Meetings and Thematic Meetings) and the participation for all of the African members of the Khartoum Process. Additionally, several EUTF regional projects promote the implementation of the main objectives of the Khartoum Process.
Below are some examples of regional actions and initiatives, which aim at supporting the Khartoum Process priorities and objectives, as charted by the Rome Declaration.
RELEVANT REGIONAL INITIATIVES
- Better Migration Management (BMM)
- Addressing Mixed Migration Flows in East Africa (AMMi)
- Regional Operational Centre in support of the Khartoum Process and the AU-Horn of Africa Initiative (ROCK)
- Regional Development Protection Programme (RDPP) - Horn of Africa
These initiatives are supported financially by a variety of donors and funding instruments, amongst which:
EU Development Cooperation Instrument (DCI)
- The prime objective of the DCI is the reduction of poverty.
- It contributes also to the achievement of other goals of EU external action, in particular fostering sustainable economic, social and environmental development as well as promoting democracy, the rule of law, good governance and respect for human rights.
- More on the DCI can be found here.
EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF)
- Formally constituted at the Valletta Summit on Migration, held on 11-12 November 2015, the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for stability and addressing root causes of irregular migration and displaced persons in Africa (EUTF for Africa) aims to foster stability and to contribute to better migration management, including by addressing the root causes of destabilisation, forced displacement and irregular migration.
- The EUTF for Africa implements activities across three regions of Africa – the Sahel and Lake Chad, the Horn of Africa and North Africa.
- The Horn of Africa region of the Trust Fund covers: Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South, Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania. (In bold: members of the Khartoum Process)
- More on the EUTF can be found here.